Saturday, August 22, 10:00 am
Franklin Mill Store • 305 Union Street • Franklin, MA
14 Members, 1 Guest Speaker
- Jennifer announced self-nominations for officer positions will take place in September. Voting will be held in October. The positions will be President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Positions descriptions will be available for review. Any questions can be directed to the current officers either in person or via email. Jennifer, Acting President and VP, can be reached at email@example.com. Megan, Secretary, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plans for the future of the guild will be discussed at the September meeting. Megan will be sending an online survey to all current members in preparations for the discussion.
- Pat, Social Committee Chair, provided a Social Committee update. The next social will be held on Friday, September 11, 5:00 pm, in the downstairs classroom. Donations of drinks and snacks are graciously accepted. Megan will post the reminder announcement on the blog as the date approaches. We will be working on jelly roll quilts, so if anyone is interested in learning this technique, join us on the 11th!
- Kathy, Charity Committee Chair, provided a Charity Committee update. The Charity Committee will be wrapping up their collections of presentation cases for Quilts of Valor in September. Kathy has some ideas for future charity endeavors, and is always open to ideas from guild members.
- There are seats open on both the Social and the Charity committee, so members are encouraged to get involved! This is a member-driven guild, so we are always open to thoughts and ideas from all our talented members.
- Jennifer passed around a sign up sheet to bring snacks to upcoming monthly meetings. She will pass the list along to Maureen.
- Summer Sampler Series blocks for August are being pushed back to September. This will allow some of us to get caught up; it’s been a busy summer! August and September blocks will be presented at the September meeting, and yes, there will be prizes! Be sure to bring in your blocks!
- Carol’s Block for August was “Pick Up Sticks.” Sue was this month’s luck winner. Congrats, Sue!
- Carol’s Block for September will be “Batiks Two-Fer.” Remember, you get a raffle ticket for each block you make, so the more you make, the more changes you have to win! This time, you are making two blocks. They can be different, or they can be twins! Each set of blocks will count at one raffle entry.
September Block of the Month
Use any batik fabrics, and a solid, if desired, for contrasting 1/2″ square triangle blocks.
A (cut 2) 4 1/2″ squares for two blocks
B (cut 5) 2 7/8″ squares to make two blocks (note: 5 of each color)
Make 10 half-square triangles, 5 for each block (B)
Sew 2 half-square triangles together, and then stitch to square A
Sew bottom three half-square triangles together
Stitch together to form one 6″ block
Repeat to form two blocks
- The September meeting will feature an open discussion forum. We will be focusing on goals and ideas for the health and expansion of the guild. Megan will be sending out a brief online survey to all active members in preparation for the September meeting, just to get those creative juices flowing. We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!!
- Megan will be posting regular updates to the blog, including meeting recaps, meeting reminders, and event announcements. If you are not receiving her emails, please check your spam folder! You can also subscribe to the blog via the sign up link on the right side of the home page. This way, you will receive an email notification as soon as a new blog post is made!
- Laura Collins guided us through a sketch stitch demo. Thank you, Laura, for sharing your time and talent with us! We all have a new favorite technique! Check out the pictures below to see the Runamok MQG ladies working diligently on their pieces, and to see the fruits of our labors!